21. He is going to visit _____university which is located in _____ west of USA.
A. an; 不填 B. a; the C. a; 不填 D. the; the
22. In addition to a healthy diet, you also need regular exercise _____weight.
A. losing B. having lost C. lost D. to lose
23. —I have an appointment with Jane.
—Wait a moment. She _____ with her editor about her new book.
A. is discussing B. will discuss C. had discussed D. was discussing
24. _____ you are 18 years old, hopefully you can become more independent.
A. Whether B. Unless C. In case D. Now that
25. Hearing the news, I felt a great load _____ off my mind and everything got easier.
A. having taken B. taken C. to be taken D. taking
26. She had a feeling that she already knew _____ this conversation was going to lead.
A. where B. when C. why D. how
27. — I guess Bob and Amy won’t come to the party.
— They just called saying that they_____.
A. had been held up B. were holding up
C. have been held up D. would hold up
28. Chongyang Festival, _____ is also known as the Double Ninth Festival, falls on the ninth day of the ninth month of the Chinese lunar calendar.
A. when B. which C. that D. who
29. — Has the interviewee arrived?
— No. I hope he is not lost. It _____ easy to find this place.
A. isn’t B. wasn’t C. won’t be D. hasn’t been
30. _____ she got on the stage, I hadn’t realized she had such a talent in dancing.
A. Since B. As C. Until D. Once
31. If the weather _____better last weekend, we would have gone to the beach.
A. was B. has been C. were D. had been
32. The immersed tunnel of Hongkong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge is 6.7 kilometers long, _____ it the world’s longest and deepest undersea tunnel.
A. to make B. make C. making D. having made
33. —How was the weather during your trip in England?
— Strangely fine! It _____ much.
A. doesn’t rain B. didn’t rain C. hasn’t rained D. hadn’t rained
34. We have work to do, but if you need a rest, we _____ start tomorrow.
A. must B. can C. should D. need
35. If you intend to ask people to respect your authority, you need to lead _____ example.
A. to B. for C. as D. by
One summer afternoon，when I was about eight years of age, I was looking at a beautiful rainbow. Somebody said, “If you should go to the 36 of the rainbow, you would find there great pots of gold and silver.” Without 37 , I rushed from the house, and set off toward the woods.
I was so sure that I knew just 38 that rainbow ended. I remembered how glad and proud I was in my thoughts, and what fine presents I promised to all my friends out of my 39 . So thinking, and laying delightful plans, almost before I knew it I had 40 the thick forest, and the end of the rainbow was not there! 41 I saw it shining down among the trees a little farther off; so on and on I 42 , through the thick bushes and 43 rapid streams. The woods grew thicker and darker, and the ground more wet. Suddenly I met in my way a 44 porcupine (豪猪), who made himself still larger when he saw me. Fearing that he would attack me, I ran from him as fast as my 45 feet would carry me. In my 46 and hurry I forgot to keep my eye on the rainbow, and when, at last, I 47 and looked for it, it was nowhere in sight! It had quite 48 away. I burst into tears, for I had lost all my 49 and had nothing to show for my pilgrimage(journey to a holy place) but muddy feet and a wet and torn body.
But I soon found that my 50 had only begun: I was lost! I could not tell which was east or west, but 51 about here and there, crying and calling, though I knew that no one could 52 me. All at once I heard my nickname called, so I jumped up. It was my eldest brother. He hugged and kissed away all my tears, and then he told me what the rainbow 53 is: “It is only painted air, and does not 54 _ on the earth. But it tells us something more. When you set off on a pilgrimage, you will be 55 by the rainbow through all the dark places of this world to treasures in your heart, better, far better, than silver or gold.”
36. A. end B. right C. top D. front
37. A. appreciation B. intention C. hesitation D. explanation
38. A. how B. when C. why D. where
39. A. eyes B. riches C. way D. mind
40. A. noticed B. cleared C. passed D. reached
41. A. But B. And C. Or D. For
42. A. struggled B. imagined C. looked D. worked
43. A. above B. towards C. across D. through
44. A. young B. wild C. large D. fierce
45. A. injured B. tired C. bleeding D. cold
46. A. horror B. embarrassment C. sorrow D. disappointment
47. A. cried B. remembered C. returned D. determined
48. A. flown B. moved C. broken D. faded
49. A. dreams B. destinations C. treasures D. spirits
50. A. failure B. doubts C. anger D. troubles
51. A. wandered B. hung C. came D. skipped
52. A. attack B. understand C. forgive D. hear
53. A. usually B. really C. finally D. entirely
54. A. jump B. rest C. drop D. lie
55. A. cheated B. moved C. led D. caught