1. He returned to South Carolina in 1966 and established his own legal ___A__.
A. practice B. exercise C. exercises D. practices
2. The kidnappers__A____ to kill the hostages unless they received a ransom of $500,000.
A. threatened B. threat C. threaten D. threats
3. If they had negotiated a peace earlier they could have avoided this terrible, bloody __A____.
A. war B. warfare C. warfarin D. ware
4. The object of the war to ___A__ the Union; but the cause of the war was slavery.
A. restore B. recover C. restored D. restoring
5. The newspaper aims to ___A__ the views of the middle class.
A. reflect B. deflect C. reflected D. reflection
6. She never lost faith _A__ Steven who was now under heavy criticism on account of his failure.
A. in B. on C. of D. for
7. At the moment Natasha is on the point _A__ losing her self-control.
A. of B. on C. in D. for
8. Objections _A__ slavery in the mid-Western states did have a moral ingredient, but the driving energy was territorial and did not imply sympathy for blacks.
A. to B. on C. in D. from
9. Many women lost their jobs during the economic A .
A. depression B. depress C. depressed D .depressing
10. Her first reaction to the news was a B of grief and comfort.
A. mix B. mixture C. max D. mixer
11. He argued that the British legal system was derived from Roman law and has __B_ into a complicated system.
A. evolve B. evolved C. evolving D. evolves
12. The disease is spreading quickly in the city and people, especially children and the aged, are A
A. at risk B. at risking C. at risks D. risk
13. The book gives readers a deeper C European culture.
A. insight in B. insight to C. insight into D. sight into
14. The witness gave the police a full C of what had happened in the courtyard.
A. accounts B. accounting C. account D. accounting
15. It took her three months to A her spirits after that unexpected blow.
A. recover B. restore C. restored D. recovers
16. Her wife did not want him to run for the Presidency because she feared A his safety.
A. for B. with C. in D. on
17. Their main purpose was to C attention from the opponents’ criticism.
A. deflected B. deflecting C. deflect D. Deflects