Alfred Nobel, the great Swedish inventor and industrialist, was born in Stockholm on October 21, 1833, but moved to Russia with his parents in 1842, where his father, Immanuel, made a strong position for himself in the engineering industry. Immanuel Nobel invented landmine and made a lot of money from the government during the Crimean War, but went bankrupt soon after. Then, the family returned to Sweden in 1859, where Alfred began his own study of explosives in his father’s lab. He had never been to school or university but had taught himself, and by the time he was twenty, he became a skillful chemist and excellent linguist, speaking Swedish, Russian, German, French and English. He built up over 80 companies in 20 different countries. He was always searching for a meaning to life. He spent much time and money working on how to end the wars, and the peace between nations, until his death in Italy in 1896. His famous last will, in which he left money to provide prizes for outstanding work in physics, chemistry, physiology, medicine, literature and peace, is a memorial to his interests and ideas. And so, the man is remembered and respected long after his death.
1. Where was Alfred Nobel born? He was born in ________.
A. Sweden B. Stockholm C. Russia D. Moscow
2. What did Immanuel Nobel invented during the Crimean War?
A. The engineering industry. B. A strong position. C. Landmine. D. Study of explosives.
3. Why did Alfred Nobel return to Sweden ? Because his father ________.
A. went bankrupt B. was put in prison C. was ill D. died
4. How many companies did Alfred Nobel build up? He built up ________ companies in different countries.
A. 20 B. 40 C. 60 D. 80
5. What was Alfred Nobel always searing for? ________.
A. More time and more money B. A meaning to life C. How to end the war D. The peace between nations
1. B。根据Alfred Nobel, the great Swedish inventor and industrialist, was born in Stockholm on October 21, 1833. (伟大的瑞典发明家和实业家诺贝尔于1883年10月21日出生于斯德哥尔摩)就能确定正确选项。
2. C。根据Immanuel Nobel invented landmine and made a lot of money from the government during the Crimean War(以马利•诺贝尔在克里米亚战争中发明地雷，挣了很多钱)就能确定正确答案。
3. A。根据went bankrupt soon after(不久破产了)就能确定正确答案(from www.zkenglish.com)。
4. D。根据He built up over 80 companies in 20 different countries(他在20个国家建了80多个公司)就能确定答案。
5. B。根据He was always searching for a meaning to life(他总是在搜索生活的意义)就能确定答案。