1. --Hello, this is 77553861.
A. How are you? B. Will you come tonight?
C. Can I take a mesage? D. Is that Mike?
2. Tom suggested that we __________such a meeting, but Jenny insisted that it _________of great importance.
A. not hold ; should be B. didn't hold ; be
C. hold ; was D. not hold ; was
3. You should take the medicine after you read the __________.
A. lines B. instructions C. words D. suggestions
4. --Hi, Tracy, you look tired.
--I am tired. I__________ the living-room all day.
A. painted B. have been painting
C. had painted D. have painted
5. I'm sorry. I _____________ you__________ to me.
A. don't know; are speaking
B. don't know ;were speaking
C. didn't know; were speaking
D. didn't know; are speaking
6. "Please __________why you're so late," said his girlfriend.
A. excuse B. explain C. apologize D. tell
7. The rescue team made every __________ to find the missing mountain climber.
A. force B. energy C. effort D. possibility
8. --" Would you mind the window? It's hot here!" May said.
--"__________. "Tom replied.
A. to open ; No, please B. open ; Yes, please
C. opening; No, of course not D. opening ; Yes, please
9. The murderer was brought in, with his hands behind his back.
A. to be tied B. being tied C. tied D. having tied
10. The reason_________ he didn't come was _________ he had to take care of his sick mother.
A. why ; that B. why ; which
C. which ; why D. that ; for
11. We __________ so tired. We've only been to a party.
A. mustn't have felt B. wouldn't have felt
C. shouldn't have felt D. couldn't have felt
12. The girl__________ on the ground __________to me that she had___________ the book on the shelf.
A. lying ; lay ; laid B. lay ; lied ; laid
C. lie ; lied ; lay D. lying; lied ; laid
13. --I heard that as many as 4 000 people were killed in 9
--Yes. __________ news came as __________shock to us.
A. the ; the B. the ; a C, / ; / D. / ; a
14. Neither of them knew what was doing.
A. other B. others C. the other D. another
15. Sometimes words alone were not enough to _________pupils along the path of knowledge
A. provide B. persuade C. advise D. cause
16. --What when I phoned you?
A. had you done; finished
B. were you doing; had just finished
C. did you do; had just finished
D. were you doing; was finishing
17. My uncle___________ until he was forty-five.
A. married B. didn’t marry
C. was not marrying D. would marry
18. Scientists say it may be five or ten years___________ it is possible to test this medicine on human patients.
A. since B. before C. after D. when
19. --I can't find Mr. Smith.
--It was in the hotel___________ he stayed.
A. that B. where C. which D. since
20. Our new house is very___________ for me as I can get to the office in five minutes
A. convenient B. comfortable C. natural D. helpful