1. ---We __ that you would fix the TV set this week?
---I’m sorry. I ____ to fix it this week, but I’ve been too busy.
A. had expected; had intended
B. are expecting; had intended
C. expect; intend
D. expected; intend
2. ---How are you today?
---Oh, I ____ as ill as I do now for a very long time.
A. didn’t feel B. wasn’t feeling
C. don’t feel D. haven’t felt
3. ---The child didn’t take the medicine yesterday evening, did he?
A. No, but I wish he did
B. Yes, but I wish he did
C. No, but I wish he had
D. Yes, but I wish he had
4. ---Why were you in a bad mood yesterday?
---My son ____ me down badly though I trusted him.
A. put B. left C. let D. set
5. ---That is to say, you ____ to Japan last year.
---Yes, but my mother won’t let me.
A. were to have gone
B. were to go
C. had gone
6. ---Shall I come with you tomorrow?
---I’d rather you ____.
A. didn’t B. won’t
C. don’t D. wouldn’t
7. ---What do you think of the color of my new blouse?
---Very good. You look nice in green. Green ____ you.
A. suits B. fits
C. matches D. meets
8. ---Would you like to take a walk with us?
---Sorry, I’m too busy to _____.
A. get away B. put away
C. run away D. give away
9. ---I think it’s a good idea.
---I couldn’t agree _____.
A. much B. less
C. more D. little
10. ---Tom is very stupid. He fails in the exam.
---In my opinion, he is _____ than stupid.
A. lazier B. no lazier
C. more lazy D. lazier rather
11. –And besides, these colors are more _____ you.
A. becoming to B. belonging to
C. referring to D. used to
12. ---Do you have any idea what Tom did yesterday afternoon?
---I know he spent at least as much time playing football as he _____.
A. did writing B. wrote
C. spent to write D. was writing
13. ---Why did you stop writing?
---My ink has _____.
A. used up B. run out of
C. given away D. given out
14. ---Do you know when the Chinese custom ____ from?
---It’s hard to say. But its characteristics (特色) ____ the Tang Dynasty.
A. date; suggest B. started; show
C. began; prove D. is; appear
15. ---Did he ___ you the bike for 400 yuan?
---Yes, but I wasn’t taking it anyway.
A. offer B. pay
C. take D. sell
16. ---Mary looks unhappy.
---Yes, she always ___ our success.
A. envies B. cheers
C. admires D. stops
17. ---Do you understand what I said?
---I didn’t ____ the last two words.
A. grasp B. catch
C. seize D. follow
18. ---Have you heard that Mary has been appointed Director of Department?
---After working so hard for so many years, _____.
A. she surely welcome it
B. she certainly deserves it
c. she is welcome to it
D. it’s good news
19. ---How about the price of these refrigerators?
---They’re equal in price to if not cheaper than, ____ at the other stores.
A. others B. it
C. that D. the others
20. ---What made him so unhappy?
---____ the ticket for the football match.
A. Having been lost
C. Because of losing