(1) Medical scientists are already putting computer chips (芯片) directly into the brain to help people who have Parkinson's disease, but in what other ways might computer technology be able to help us? Ray Kurzweil is author of the successful book The Age of Intelligent Machines and is one of the world's best computer research scientists. He is researching the possibilities.
(2) Kurzweil gets computers to recognize voices. An example of this is Ramona, the virtual (虚拟的) hostess of Kurzweil's homepage, who is programmed to understand what you say. Visitors to the site can have their conversations with her, and Ramona also dances and sings.
(3) Kurzweil uses this technology to help people with physical disabilities. One of his ideas is a "seeing machine". This will be "like a friend that could describe what is going on in the visible world," he explains. Blind people will use a visual sensor (探测器) which will probably be built into a pair of sunglasses. This sensor will describe to the person everything it sees.
(4) Another idea, which is likely to help deaf people, is the "listening machine". This invention will recognize millions of words and understand any speaker. The listening machine will also be able to translate into other languages, so even people without hearing problems are likely to be interested in using it.
(5) But it is not just about helping people with disabilities. Looking further into the future,Kurzweil sees a time when we will be able to download our entire consciousness onto a computer. This technology probably won't be ready for at least 50 years, but when it arrives, it means our mind will be able to live forever.
23. Paragraph 2 __________
24. Paragraph 3 __________
25. Paragraph 4__________
26. Paragraph 5 __________
A. A new pair of ears
B. Computers that can communicate
C. Everlasting consciousness on a computer
D. Time to break off a friendship
E. An author and researcher
F. A new pair of eyes
27. Ray Kurzweil works with computers to help people __________.
28. Ramona is able to understand__________.
29. Blind people will be able to see the world with__________.
30. People without hearing problems may also be interested in using __________.
A. what you say
B. a pair of sunglasses
C. the listening machine
D. a visual sensor
E. who have disabilities
F. living forever in a computer