1. There was an inclination to treat geography as a less important subject.
A. point B. tendency C. result d. finding
2. New secretaries came and went with monotonous regularity.
a. amazing b. depressing c. predictable d. dull
3. The committee was asked to render a report on the housing situation.
a. furnish b. copy c. publish d. summarize
4. The group does not advocate the use of violence.
a. limit b. regulate c. oppose d. support
5. The original experiment cannot be exactly duplicate.
a. reproduced b. invented c. designed d. reported
6. The department deferred the decision for six months.
a. put off b. arrived at c. abided by d. protested against
7. The symptoms of the disease manifested themselves ten days later.
a. eased b. appeared c. improved d. relieved
8. The uniform makes the guards look absurd.
a. serious b. ridiculous c. beautiful d. impressive
9. Some of the larger birds can remain stationary in the air for several minutes.
a. silent b. motionless c. seated d. true
10. The country was torn apart by strife.
a. poverty b. war c. conflict d. economy
11. She felt that she had done her good deed for the day.
a. act b. homework c. justice d. model
12. A person’s wealth is often in inverse proportion to their happiness.
a. equal b. certain c. large d. opposite
13. His professional career spanned 16 days.
a. started b. changed c. moved d. lasted
14. His stomach felt hollow with fear.
a. sincere b. respectful c. terrible d. empty
15. This was disaster on a cosmic scale.
a. modest b. huge c. commercial d. national