1. We almost ran into a Rolls-Royce that pulled out in front of us without signaling.
A. overtook B. hit C. passed D. found
2. He shifted his position a little, in order to alleviate the pain in his leg.
A. control B. ease C. experience D. suffer
3. Our aim was to update the health service, and we succeeded.
A. offer B. provide C. fund D. modernize
4. Every week the magazine presents the profile of a well-known sports personality.
A. description B. success C. evidence D. plan
5. All the flats in the building had the same layout.
A. color B. size C. function D. arrangement
6. Newborn babies can discriminate between a man’s and a woman’s voice.
A. treat B. express C. distinguish D. analyze
7. The weather was crisp and clear and you could see the mountains fifty miles away.
A. hot B. heavy C. fresh D. windy
8. Nothing would induce me to vote for him again.
A. teach B. help C. attract D. discourage
9. When I heard the noise in the next room, I couldn’t resist have a peep.
A. chance B. look C. visit D. try
10. Her comments about men are utterly ridiculous.
A. slightly B. partly C. faintly D. completely
11. He was weary of the constant battle between them.
A. fond B. proud C. tired D. afraid
12. She moves from one exotic location to another.
A. unusual B. familiar C. similar D. proper
13. He has been granted asylum in France.
A. protection B. power C. relief D. license
14. The photographs evoked memories of our
A. stored B. blocked C. erased D. refreshed
15. The walls are made of hollow concrete blocks.
A. empty B. big C. long D. new