The Invention of the telephone
In the nineteenth century， the invention of the telegraph made it possible to send noises， signals， and even music over wires from one place to another. However， the human voice __1__ this way. Many inventors tried to find a __2__ to send a voice over wires， and in 1876 some of their efforts were crowned with success. ___3___ American inventors， Alexander Graham Bell and Elisha Gray， __4__ at almost the same time. The United States Supreme Court finally had to decide which of the two __5__ the first inventor of the telephone. The Court decided __6__ Bell's favor.
Born in Edinbrug， Scotland， Bell grew up in a family __7__ was very interested in teaching people to speak. His grandfather had been an actor who left __8__ to teach elocution; his father was a teacher __9__ deaf-mutes learn how to speak.
However， probably none of the __10__ inventions gave Bell the same feeling of triumph __11__ he had on the day when he spilled some acid from his batteries. It was after he had worked for months to find ways to send something more __12__metallic twangs over the wires. Thinking Watson， __13__， was in the next room， Bell called， “Mr.Watson， __14__.
I want you.” Watson was not in the next room. He was down in his laboratory， __15__ to the receiver. To Watson's surprise， he heard the words perfectly. He ran to tell Bell the news： the wires had carried Bell's voice perfectly.
1. A) had never traveled B) never had traveled C) was never traveled D) never was traveled
2. A) solution B) key C) way D) mean
3. A)Two B) The two C) The two of D) Of two
4. A) was succeeded B) have succeeded C) succeeded D) was succeeding
5. A) was B) to be C) being D) having been
6. A) at B) on C) to D) in
7. A) that B)where C) in which D) who
8. A) a theatre B) theatre C) theatres D) the treatre
9. A) which was helped B) that was helped C) who helped D) who has helped
10. A) later B) latter C) lately D) afterwards
11. A) like B) to C)which D) as
12. A) of B) / C) as D) than
13. A) being his helper B) was his helper C) his helper D) to be his helper
14. A) come here B) come up C) go away D) go down
15. A) besides B) beside C) next D) by
Key： A C A C A D A D C A D D C A C