1. Many university students are encouraged to study in majors which are more needed in the job market, like science, technology, engineering, math. What is your opinion about students choosing those majors instead of what they are interested in?
2. Some people think that giving students time during a class to discuss ideas with each other is a good way to help students learn; others think giving students time for discussion is ineffective or a waste of time. Which idea do you agree?
3. Some parents offer their school-age children money for each high grade (mark) they get in school. Do you think this is a good idea?
4. A city wants to help teachers of its high school students (age14-18)improve their teaching. It is considering two plans:
A city wants to help teachers of its high school students (age14-18)improve their teaching. It is considering two plans:
• Choose a small group of excellent teachers; these teachers will attend a class led by an expert for additional training in how to teach effectively, and they will then come back to their schools and provide that training for other teachers in school.
• Provide additional training in teaching effectively for high school teachers, using online material that each teacher will study individually.
5. A good leader should admit their mistakes.
6. In order to succeed in doing a new job, the ability to adapt oneself to the new environment is more important than the excellent knowledge of this job.
7. Some people always follow their dreams even if the dreams are ambitious. Some think we should focus on achieving realistic goals. Which do you agree with?
8. It is better to take risks and explore new things when you are older than when you are young.
9. Because people are busy doing so many different things, they do very few things well.
10. The opinions of celebrities, such as famous entertainers and athletes, are more important to younger people than they are to older people.
11. It is important for the government to provide money for things that are beautiful not just for things that are practical.
12. In order to attract more tourists, the government should improve safety by hiring more police or improve the cityscape by improving old buildings and streets.
13. People often buy products not because they really need them but because other people have them.
14. Nowadays, many movies or films are based on books. Some people prefer to read the original book before they watch the movie, other prefer to watch the movie before reading the book. Which one do you prefer?
15. Getting advide from friends of an older age would be more valuable than from friends who are of the same age.
16. In the past it was easier to identify what type of career or job would lead to a secure, successful future.
17. Spending time alone is the best way to relax.
18. What is the most important action for the government to solve environmental problems?
1) funding research on new energy sources such as solar and wind power;
2) protecting the forest and wildlife;
3) passing and enforcing laws to reduce the pollution;