Section 1: Vocabulary and Grammar (60 points)
This section consists of 3 parts. Read the directions for each part before answering the questions.
Part 1 Vocabulary Selection
In this part, there are 20 incomplete sentences. Below each sentence, there are 4 choices marked by letters A, B, C and D respectively. Choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence. There is only ONE right answer. Blacken the corresponding letter as required on your Machine-scoring
1. All the students of this university have free ________ to the Internet via a
2. It is rumored that Mr. Smith, the grandson of the founder of the university and
a professor of philosophy, will be ________ as president in March.
A. indulged B. inaugurated
C. induced D. integrated
3. When I visited the area after the hurricane, I became ________ by what I saw
and heard there.
4. When the actor appeared on the stage again, shouts and cheers broke________ from the crowd and continued for about five minutes.
A. in B. off
C. forth D. up
5. The ________ value of a coin, i.e. the value of the metal in it, is usually less
than the value of what it will buy.
A. external B. interior
6. Hotels and restaurants are an ________ part of the city, without which the
tourist industry could not exist.
7. We can find a full ________ of his political belief in his newly-published
8. I don’t think you can persuade him; he always ________ to his own
9. In the advanced course of our training, students must take objective tests at
10. Going around at the top of the mountain, we watched the fog ________ from
the valley below; it seemed that we had entered a fairyland.
11. Richard has an ________ manner, although he comes from a middle-class
family background and has received his education at Cambridge.
12. The history teacher told us the ring was a piece of ________ treasure because
it had been handed down from an ancient king.
13. In the last few years, the ________ of regular folks going under the cosmetic
14. He was too busy to do any exercise at all until he turned 58. And he is in much
better ________ now than ever before.
15. All of us in research have focused on a drug that is so ________ that it can
change brain chemistry.
16. He was only a ________ ruler of the country; the real one was his mother,
who actually handled state affairs and possessed the power of making
17. ________ that she is interested in children, I am sure that teaching is the right
profession for her.
18. She had ________ opportunity to exercise leadership, which she has dreamed
of since she was young.
19. They intend to remove the ________ rules and regulations that are
discouraging foreign investment in their country.
20. The Central Bank is interested in how much money is in ________ in the