Presenting the company
1. Listening Listen to the presentation about Rossomon Plc. As you listen, complete the organization Chart below.
I'd like to say a few words about the organizational structure of Rossomon. Now, if you look at the transparency you will see that the Managing Director, that is Mr. Bunce, is responsible for running the company and is accountable to the Board.
Now, he is assisted by four executive departments. These are Human Resources, which is responsible for personnel, training and management development; then there is the Finance Department which takes care of corporate finance and accounting; next, we have the Management Services Department, led by Peter Jenkins who is in charge of rationalization throughout the company; and finally there is the R&D Department- research and development-which works closely with the five regions on new product development.
So this then brings me on to the regions. Directly under the Managing Director there are five Regional Managers. Each of them is responsible for the day-to-day management of a territory-these are geographically split into North, South, East, West, and Central Regions.
Now then, the five regions are supported by two sections-Marketing and Technical Services. They are organized on a matrix basis with section leaders accountable to the Regional Managers. They work closely with the regions on the marketing and technical side.
Now, in addition to the parent company, Rossomon has three subsidiaries, namely Rossomon France, Germany and Japan. The subsidiaries report to the Export Sales Department, which in turn is accountable to the Board.
Right, well that's a brief overview. Are there any questions?
2. Presentation This section demonstrates some of the language used to describe an organization in terms of:
The company is headed by the MD.
The Sales Director reports to the MD.
The Sales Director is under the MD.
The sales Director is accountable to the MD.
The Sales Director is supported by a sales team.
The Sales Director is assisted by an Assistant Sales Manager.
2.2 Responsibilities/ functions
The finance Department is responsible for accounting.
The R&D (Research and Development) Department takes care of new product development.
The Administration Manager is in charge of personnel.
Below are the main managerial titles with the US equivalents in brackets:
Managing Director (chief Executive Officer/Senior Vice- President)
Finance Director (Vice-President-Finance)
Sales Manager (Sales Director)
X is the Parent company.
A, B and C are subsidiaries (more than 50% owned by the parent)
The Car Division consists of the Production Department and the Sales Department.
The Production Department comprises the Methods Section and the Maintenance Section.
The Sales Department is made up of the Advertising Section and the After-sales Section.
3. Controlled practice
Use the organization chart in the Listening section and the language in the Presentation section to complete these sentences.
1. The Managing Director ___________________ to the Board.
2. The Managing Director ___________________ for running the company.
3. The Managing Director ___________________ by four executive departments.
4. ______________the Managing Director, there are five regional divisions.
5. Each regional Manager _________________ of a territory.
6. The five regions ________________by two other sections-Marketing and Technical Services.
7. The Section Leaders ______________to the Regional Managers.
8. In addition to the ____________company, Rossomon has three____________.
9. The subsidiaries ___________Rossomon France, Rossomon Germany and Rossomon Japan.
10. The subsidiaries ______________to the Export Sales Department.